Newsletter - August 2019
From MDGs to SDGs 1
By Dr.Sanjay Banerji
Founder Director/Dean of Amrita School of Business
In this month, we shall introduce the SDGs, beginning with its evolution. This is a rather large topic, and we shall deal with it in a few instalments as under:
- The success of MDGs provided a clue as to how to implement Sustainable Development, even while the disagreements persisted.
- A Basic Insight: The Doughnut Principle: ‘A Safe and Just Space for Humanity’.
- Three major contributions: SDSN, SRC and Kate Raworth
- Formulation of the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2016 – 2030
- Adoption of the SDGs
Solid Waste Management
By Hand in Hand, Chennai
Door-to-door awareness campaign
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
C.P.R. Environmental Education Centre
Botanical Name: Aloe vera (L.) Burm. f.
Tamil Name: Sotru Kathalai
Sanskrit Name: Ghrit Kumari
English Name: Aloe Vera
Distribution and Habitat:
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant species that probably originated in northern Africa. Now the plant is also grown in the hot dry regions of Asia, Europe and America. Aloe vera is a stemless or very short-stemmed succulent plant growing to 60–100 cm (24–39 in) tall, spreading by offsets.
Revival and Renovation of Traditional Water Bodies (Teerthas) Hara Teertham
Picture gallery - work in progress
LIC, Golden Jubilee Foundation, Mumabi
Status of Sanitation in Schools functioning in Rameswaram an analysis by
Motivation Camp for Aspiration Project Staff
Vivekananda Kendra - Nardep
From August 16 – 18, 2019 Motivation camp for Aspiration project staff from Rameswaram was held at Vivekananda Kendra Kanyakumari.
25 staff members from Gandhigram Trust, Hand in Hand, Karuna Trust participated.
Following aspects were covered in the training
1) Traditional Physical exercises which aim at inner sustainability and outer