Newsletter - November 2020
(Because, hey, that’s what criminals do. That’s their job!)
Anyway, he was sent to the king for his punishment.
The king told him he had a choice of two punishments.
He could be hung by a rope.
Or take what’s behind the big, dark, scary, mysterious iron door.
The criminal quickly decided on the rope.
As the noose was being slipped on him, he turned to the king and asked:
This month’s newsletter has the following highlights:
- Dr. Sanjay Banerji in his blog writes about Sustainable Development Goal– 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities)
- Shri.Rangarajan, Chennai writes on Thevaram related with Rameswaram.
- Solid waste management work by - Hand in Hand Inclusive Development Services, Chennai.
- Dr.A.Abirami, Programme Officer of C.P.R. Environmental Educational Center writes about the herbal plant – Sharpunkha (Kolinghi)
- Landscaping and Beautification - Palm tree plantation
- Revival and Renovation of new Teertham (Traditional water body) – Ariya Nachiyar
- Regular events for building Social capital and finally
- 'Green Rameswaram newsletter’ by the students and for the students of Rameswaram.
With best wishes,Editorial Team
Green Rameswaram Project
Rameswaram - 623526
Ph: 04573 - 222296(office)
Sustainable Development Goal - 11
This month we shall discuss the 11th Sustainable Development Goal: ‘Sustainable Cities and Communities’. In this blog, we shall try to explain
- What it is and why is this relevant
- What are its indicators and targets
- Where do we stand in India
- What can we do to support the goal
Thirumurai/Thevaram songs on Rameswaram
Glory to Lord Siva, who is worshipped in southern region (தென்னாடுடைய சிவனே போற்றி !)
Saivite saint-poet Sri Gnanasambanda Perumaan has composed wonderful hymns on Rameswaram in lilting Tamil. This comes as part of the 3rd canto of “Thirumurai”, a compendium of devotional songs on Lord Siva.
Solid Waste Management
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
Distribution and Habitat
Landscaping and Beautification
Palm Seeds Plantation
Revival and Renovation of Water Bodies
On 9th November 2020 we have restarted the Ariyanaatchi Teertham Renovation with a pooja involving the local stake holders. Shri.Joseph, Teertha Mitra was present during the ceremony. Earlier the work was stopped because of COVID 19 pandemic.
All the works are completed such as:
- Bund Strengthening
- Wall construction
- Inlet and outlet construction
Green Rameswaram Trust
Regular Yoga Classes
Regular Yoga classes are conducted in the morning for gents and evening for the ladies. On an average 30 participants in the morning and 45 in the evening attended the session. In addition, every Sunday Shri.Hegdeji conducts mediation class in the evening for about 30 participants.
Special Yoga class for Police Department
On the request of Police department Shri.Hegdeji, Yoga teacher, Green Rameswaram conducted a training programme for the police department on November 21, 2020 in Ganapathy Mahal, Rameswaram.