Newsletter - September 2020
He was born in Reddypally village in Khammam district, of Telangana. He had schooling till 10th standard. As a relentless campaigner of social forestry for more than 5 decades, Ramaiah himself cannot recall when it all exactly started. He remembers vaguely that as a child he often saw his mother saving the seeds of vegetable plants for the next Growing season. Ever since he was a child, he has been collecting seeds of native trees and many more in his mission to cover every barren land with trees.
Ramaiah transformed the famous quote "Plant a tree and save a life" into action rather than lecturing the benefits. Locals know him as a man with pockets full of seeds and who pedals miles together with an overload of saplings on his bicycle. He truly recognises the need to plant trees to save our environment and desperately plants saplings in each and every barren land he passes by. Sometimes he is accompanied by his wife and children from local schools. Though he never had any formal education, Ramaiah in his pursuit has read umpteen number of books on trees and the process of planting trees. He is considered as a walking encyclopedia on plants.
Stakeholders of Green Rameswaram project are also dreaming of making the entire island green by planting thousands of trees. Hope, they will get inspiration from Chetla Ramaiah.
This month’s newsletter has the following highlights:
- Dr. Sanjay Banerji in his blog writes about Sustainable Development Goal – 9 (Infrastructure, industrialization and innovation)
- Shri.Rangarajan, Chennai has started a new series on Thevaram related with Rameswaram.
- Shri.Paranthamam and Premkumar, REACH Foundation continues his blog on Archaeology of Rameswaram in Tamil
- Solid waste management work by Hand in Hand Inclusive Development Services, Chennai.
- Dr.A.Abirami, Programme Officer of C.P.R. Environmental Educational Center writes about the herbal plant – Engelmann Prickly Pear (Chapathi kalli)
- Revival and Renovation of Traditional water bodies – Arjuna Teertham
- Regular events for building Social capital such as cleaning of Traditional water bodies with the help of stakeholders, webinars etc. and finally
- ‘Green Rameswaram newsletter’ by the students and for the students of Rameswaram.
With best wishes,Editorial Team
Green Rameswaram Project
Rameswaram - 623526
Ph: 04573 - 222296(office)
Sustainable Development Goal - 9
This month we shall discuss the 9th Sustainable Development Goal: Infrastructure, industrialization and innovation. In this blog, we shall try to explain:
In this blog, we shall try to explain:
- What it is and why is this relevant
- What are its indicators and targets?
- Where do we stand in India
- What can we do to support the goal
Thirumurai/Thevaram songs on Rameswaram
Solid Waste Management
Training Programme for Green Friends
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
Engelmann Prickly Pear
Distribution and Habitat
Revival and Renovation of Water Bodies
Mythological Story and Merit of this Teertham
Green Rameswaram Trust