Newsletter - August 2021
David Attenborough’s latest nature documentary on Netflix may be his greatest yet. Apparently stung by criticism about the false impressions his documentaries have provided on the state of our natural world, Attenborough has produced a witness statement outlining the changes to the environment over his 94-year existence and solutions to the biodiversity crisis he has lived through. At last, Attenborough clearly illustrates the devastating impact humanity has had on our planet. Do not miss this informative trailer https://youtu.be/64R2MYUt394
It is time, we start “Thinking Globally and Act Locally” and as David Attenborough says – We need to learn how to work with nature rather than against it. We at Rameswaram trying to practice it in our own small way while creating Green Resilient Rameswaram.This month’s newsletter has the following highlights:
- Dr.Sanjay Banerji in his blog wants to “Build Planetary Stewards” to save the planet.
- Shri.Rangarajan, Chennai covers Azhwar Songs on Ram-Sethu
- Regular Solid waste management work by - Hand in Hand Inclusive Development Services, Chennai
- Dr.A.Abirami, Programme Officer of C.P.R. Environmental Educational Center writes about the herbal plant – Kodikalli
- Livelihood Opportunities - covers Pasumai group’s activities and Green transport
- Revival and Renovation of Parameswara Teertham
- In Social capital Teertham cleaning, Independence’s day celebrations, regular webinars and finally 'Green Rameswaram newsletter’ by the students and for the students of Rameswaram
With best wishes,Editorial Team
Green Rameswaram Project
Rameswaram - 623526
Ph: 04573 - 222296(office)
Budding Planetary Stewards
This month, we recap some of the salient points discussed earlier, and urge everybody, and especially the youth to actively participate in the sustainable development movement. Let us try to become ‘Budding Planetary Stewards’.
I draw my inspirations from Professors Jeffrey Sachs and Johan Rockstrom and his colleagues, the two MOOC courses they delivered and as a part of these courses, the facts and figures, especially the IPAT equation. I believe that ‘Affluence’ and ‘Consumption’ are the two root causes behind the current situation facing our Mother Earth, endangering the entire life on earth.
Azhwar Songs on Ram-Sethu
Om Namo Narayana!
The Nalayira Divya Prabandham composed by the 12 Alvars, the patron saints of Vishishta-dvaita/ Ramanuja Sampradaya. There are numerous references to Rama-sethu/Rama’s bridge in their songs. Here are some gems:
Solid Waste Management
Door-to-Door Collection and Garbage Segregation
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
Distribution and Habitat
This month, we added 23 new groups. Thus, now we have a total 104 groups.
Regular group meetings were held to discuss the following:
- Awareness Generation about Covid
- Awareness Generation about Vaccination
- Distribution of Kapasura Kudineer in our group area
- Distribution of 250 Masks to group members
“Revival and Renovation of Traditional
Land does not belong to HR & CE
Land does not belong to Panchayat
Green Rameswaram Trust