Newsletter - March 2021
Jon is a farmer from northeastern Thailand. He founded the Pun Pun Center for Self-reliance, an organic farm outside Chiang Mai, with his wife Peggy Reents in 2003. Pun Pun doubles as a center for sustainable living and seed production, aiming to bring indigenous and rare seeds back into use. It regularly hosts training on simple techniques to live more sustainably. Outside of Pun Pun, Jon is a leader in bringing the natural building movement to Thailand, appearing as a spokesperson in dozens of publications and TV programs for the past 10 years. He continually strives to find easier ways for people to fulfill their basic needs. https://youtu.be/9lj6V6Ue7qc
We are sharing the story of Jon from Thailand as we are on the same page and trying to build Green Resilient Rameswaram by motivating people to change their present lifestyle and go for “Green Living”.
This month’s newsletter has the following highlights:
- Dr. Sanjay Banerji in his blog writes about Sustainable Development Goal– 15 (Life on Land)
- Shri.Rangarajan, Chennai writes on Thevaram related with Rameswaram.
- Solid waste management work by - Hand in Hand Inclusive Development Services, Chennai.
- Dr.A.Abirami, Programme Officer of C.P.R. Environmental Educational Center writes about the herbal plant – Black Nightshade (Manathakkali)
- Formation of Pasumai groups for ‘Green Livelihood’
- In Green transport, E-Rickshaw at Rameswaram
- Preliminary work for Revival and Renovation of TWB – Krishna Teertham
- In Social capital, Anna pooja, visits of well-wishers, Teertha pooja and finally
- 'Green Rameswaram newsletter’ by the students and for the students of Rameswaram.
With best wishes,Editorial Team
Green Rameswaram Project
Rameswaram - 623526
Ph: 04573 - 222296(office)
Sustainable Development Goal - 15
This month we shall discuss the 15th Sustainable Development Goal: ‘Life on Land’. In this blog, we shall try to explain:
a. What it is and why is this relevant
As stated earlier, I have little to contribute on my own. I have attempted to provide a few references, so that if anyone is interested in probing deeper, you could do so.
Thirumurai/Thevaram songs on Rameswaram
Glory to Lord Siva, who is worshipped in southern region (தென்னாடுடைய சிவனே போற்றி!)
Saivite saint-poet Sri Thirunavakkarasu Perumaan has composed wonderful hymns on Rameswaram in lilting Tamil. This comes as part of the 4th canto of “Thirumurai”, a compendium of devotional songs on Lord Siva.
Solid Waste Management
Waste collection and Processing
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
Black Nightshade (Manathakkali)
Distribution and Habitat
Pasumai Groups Promotion
- Pasumai Groups PromotionSavings mobilized Rs.38600
- Total number of members reached 362
- Subscription amount collected Rs.3620
- Pasumai Subscription amount collected Rs. 2900
E-Rickshaws for Pilgrims
With lot of efforts Green Rameswaram launched the E-Rickshaws to run in the Four Ratha Veethis of Sri Ramanathasamy temple. It is a big stretch of area and especially aged, differently-abled and sick people cannot walk the area. They suffer because of lack of transportation. Keeping this in mind our District Collector permitted us to run this service.
Revival and Renovation of
Traditional Water Bodies
Formation of Teertha Renovation Committee – Krishna Teertham
Green Rameswaram Trust
Anna pooja was organised by Vivekananda Kendra’s Rural Development Programme at Green Rameswaram project office on 7th March. Green Rameswaram team gave necessary help in conducting the event. Many well-wishers attended the grand event.