Newsletter - April 2022
In this month, we are sharing two powerful messages received through WhatsApp.
In our Green Rameswaram project, there are 9 verticals, however our major emphasis is on Revival and Renovation of Traditional Water bodies which is the need of the hour. We have already renovated 40 water bodies which are outside the temple and the balance 10 are in the process of renovation. Hope, we will complete the work in this year.
This month’s newsletter has the following highlights:
- Dr.Sanjay Banerji in his blog writes on – UN Global Climate Action Awards
- Solid waste management work by - Hand in Hand Inclusive Development Services, Chennai
- Dr.A.Abirami, Programme Officer of the C.P.R. Environmental Educational Center writes about the herbal plant – Multi vitamin plant (Thavasi keerai)
- Livelihood Opportunities covers Seedling distribution to the SHG members as well as training on value added products from fish
- Revival and Renovation of Traditional Water Bodies – Veera Teertham
- In Social capital - Teertha Poojas, Deepa Pooja, Teertha Mitra’s meeting, World book day celebration, Rama Tandavam function at Dhanushkodi etc. and finally 'Green Rameswaram newsletter’ by the students and for the students of Rameswaram
With best wishes,Editorial Team
Green Rameswaram Project
Rameswaram - 623526
Ph: 04573 - 222296(office)
UN Global Climate Action Awards
We shall first try to understand what is meant by Climate Action . While signing the Paris Agreement at COP 21, all nations realized the importance of mobilizing support from all non-Party stakeholders in achieving the ambitious 1.5 Degree Celsius target. In addition to national governments, they felt the need to involve and engage business, civil society, non-governmental organizations, local administrations down to cities, and groups of women, youth and indigenous peoples.
Solid Waste Management
Door to Door Collection and Garbage Segregation
Source Segregation Demonstration Programme
Through this progaramme, our staffs and green friends give awareness to households in each ward on the types of waste, segregation of waste and the importance and benefits of recycling. A live demonstration on Source Segregation was organized for the public.
Herbal Garden (Muligai Vanam)
Multi Vitamin Plant
Distribution and Habitat
Status of SHGs
Total Groups 120 and Total members 1483.
This month we concentrated on account opening as well as the collection of Share capital for the cluster formation. The process is on ….
Distribution of saplings
SHG team was blessed with the 1500 saplings donated by Dhanalakshmi bank. Saplings comprised of Aloevera, lemon, Curry leaves, Mint, Jasmine, papaya, Thippili and moringa. Each member got two plants to grow in their backyard. In the group meetings we have explained how to grow plants and the medicinal property of each plant. 750 SHG members received the saplings.
“Revival and Renovation of
Traditional Water Bodies”
Green Rameswaram Trust
1. Teertha poojas
2. Teertha Mitra’s Meeting
On 17 April 2022 we organised a Teertha Mitra’s meeting which was chaired by Swami Nyamanand Maharaj of Ramakrishna Tapovanam, Rameswaram. Around 26 people from various walks of life attended the meeting.• Meeting started with a prayer
• The purpose of the meeting was explained by Sister Saraswathi
• During the discussion, following suggestions were given by the stakeholders:
- Creation of a laser light show in one of the Teertham
- Regular Teertha yatra can be conducted on this new circuit
- Flyers and pamphlets can be printed and distributed to autos and taxis and hotels
- Regular Teertha poojas should be organized at all the places
- Teertha uses and benefits has to be listed out infront of each Teertham